Motorola recently resuscitated the RAZR phone. It used to be a very popular dumb phone a couple of years back then fell off the face of the earth but it is now back in its smartphone version: Droid RAZR! This very thin device runs Android Gingerbread for now but will be upgradeable to Ice Cream Sandwich in the near future. As usual it is quite easy to root / jailbreak, let’s find out how.
Disclaimer: Please note that we will not be responsible if you end up bricking your device. Rooting or customizing your device can be risky, follow the instructions at your own risk.
Follow these instructions in order to root your GSM or CDMA Motorola Droid RAZR using a Windows computer [from XDA]:
- Install the Motorola USB drivers on your computer (download here)
- Download the DooMLoRD_v2_ROOT-zergRush-busybox-su.zip file on XDA @ http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=778113&d=1320911452
- Extract the DooMLoRD_v2_ROOT-zergRush-busybox-su.zip file on your computer
- On your Droid RAZR, go to Settings > Application > Development > select USB debugging
- Now connect your phone to your computer and make sure your device is recognized
- Browse to the location where you extracted the DooMLoRD_v2_ROOT-zergRush-busybox-su.zip file
- At the root of this folder you will find the Runme.bat file, simply run it and wait
Now you can enable wireless tethering, flash custom ROMs like MIUI or CyanogenMod when they will be available.
For Mac and Linux go to XDA @ [ROOT+RECOVERY] ROOT & Partial RECOVERY FOR DROID RAZR XT910/XT912 [Mac/Linux].
You can also follow the following video in order to root your Motorola Droid RAZR:
More information can be found on XDA @ [ROOT] ROOT FOR DROID RAZR [GSM/CDMA] [Windows Only].
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter and join our Facebook Fan page to stay updated.