The Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 is the latest iteration of the Galaxy Tab tablet series. As you can guess it comes with a slightly smaller screen than the Galaxy Tab 10.1: 8.9 inches. Other than that this is pretty much the same tablet: Android Honeycomb 3.1, NVidia Tegra 2 CPU etc. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 is one of the best Android tablet out there and the Galaxy Tab 8.9 is also a great choice if you’re looking for something a bit smaller. In addition to that it is quite simple to root the new Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9, let’s find out how.
Disclaimer: Please note that we will not be responsible if you end up bricking your device. Rooting or customizing your device can be risky, if you follow the instructions you should be fine!
All the credits go to mramirezusa @ XDA who first released the process to root a Galaxy Tab 8.9.
Follow these simple instructions to root / jailbreak your Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9:
- First you’ll need to get the latest USB drivers for your Galaxy Tab 8.9 @ http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/GT-P7310MAAXAR
- Once downloaded, install those drivers on your computer
- Download the file root_original.zip from XDA @ Galaxy Tab 8.9 Root
- Copy the file root_original.zip onto the SD Card of your Galaxy Tab 8.9
- Power off your tablet
- Turn it back on and hold the Volume Down button and Power button for a couple of seconds (15-20 sec)
- Once you see 2 icons on your screen, release both buttons
- Press the Volume Down button once and select Recovery Mode
- Press the Volume Up button and select Recovery Mode
- In the Recovery mode menu select apply .zip from sdcard
- Select the root_original.zip file on the Galaxy Tab 8.9 SD Card
- Apply root_original.zip and reboot your tablet
- Once the tablet is back on, open up the Android Market and install the Superuser app (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.noshufou.android.su&hl=en)
Alright now you can try to flash a custom ROM or overclock your Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9.
For the Galaxy Tab 10.1 root procedure, have a look at our article @ How To Root Your Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.
You can find out more about how to root your Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 on XDA @ Galaxy Tab 8.9 Root .
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter and join our Facebook Fan page to stay updated.