The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 is one of the nicest Android Honeycomb tablet out there and Samsung was kind enough to ship some of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 with unlocked bootloaders which extend this device capabilities. For example it is now possible to install a custom kernel which will overclock the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 CPU to 1.4 GHz. The Galaxy Tab 10.1 is already fast out of the box and it just got way faster.
Disclaimer: Please note that we will not be responsible if you end up bricking your device. Rooting or customizing your phone or tablet can be risky, if you follow the instructions you should be fine!
Here is the changelog for this custom kernel:
-use GT-P7510 source from opensource.samsung.com and supplied defconfig, as a base
-merged up to kernel.org's, 184.108.40.206
-oc to 1.4GHZ @ 1.200
-same optimisations as gtab-2632 (-O1, cortex/vfp/fp optimisations via CodeSourcery 2009-q1)
-merged in various changes from gtab-2632, vision-2635, AOSP and kernel.org
-Autogroup (session), various ERRATAS, BFQ I/O scheduler
Follow these instructions to install this custom kernel and overclock your Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet:
- Download the custom kernel @ OC-VFP_FP 1.4GHZ - Galaxy Tab 10.1
- On your Galaxy Tab 10.1, reboot into recovery and flash the custom kernel
- Now download the latest version of SetCPU @ http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...3&d=1308620121
- Install the SetCPU APK file on your Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
- Start the SetCPU app, accept the root privileges when prompted
- In SetCPU, select autodetect and pick ondemand for governor.
Users have reported Quadrant scores of up to 2002 (up from 1500 out of the box) so this custom kernel does make a difference.
You can download the custom kernel and get more information on XDA @ OC-VFP_FP 1.4GHZ - Galaxy Tab 10.1.
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter and join our Facebook Fan page to stay updated.