The Samsung Moment is officially stuck with Android 2.1 (Eclair) for the time being but thanks to the SDX Developers it is now possible to install Android 2.2 (Froyo) on it. The Samsung Moment is still a decent Android device and it is really encouraging to see the developer community not giving up on it. Maybe we’ll see Gingerbread on it!
Note that we will not be responsible if you end up bricking your device, rooting or customizing your device can be risky. If you follow the instructions carefully you will be fine!
All the credits for this release go to mrwrx @ SDX Developers.
Before you get started you will need a rooted Samsung Moment, you can read our article @ How to Root your Sprint Samsung Moment to root your device.
Follow these instructions to install Android 2.2 (aka Froyo) on your rooted Samsung Moment [from (v2.0.1) SDX Froyo M900 for Samsung Moment RC1 released!]:
- Download the files @ (v2.0.1) SDX Froyo M900 for Samsung Moment RC1 released!
- Backup your /system and /data in case you need to roll back
- Copy "system_acclaim.tar" to /sdcard/sdx/backup
- Copy "zImage" to /sdcard/sdx/updates
- Copy Format_system_data_cache.zip to /sdcard/sdx/zip (make sure to reboot to recovery when it is done! )
- Boot into recovery mode
- Apply zip -> Format_system_data_cache.zip (if this doesn't work or fails, manually delete the files using steps below)
a. Go into recovery console
b. rm -rf /system/*
c. rm -rf /data/*
d. rm -rf /cache/*
- Reboot to recovery
- Data/Factory wipe from Advanced menu (just in case #6 is not fully completed. Skip if you are sure /data/* is gone)
- Restore /system using system_froyo_m900.tar
- Flash kernel
Here is the latest changelog for this Froyo port:
- v2.0 RC1
- ALL sensors are FIXED! - Thanks to DavidE for writing the driver.
- EXT2/3/4 support added. (untested) - Thanks to Littlejth for providing the init.rc changes.
- LED back light for the touch keys (HOME/MENU/BACK) are turned off completely for now. My goal is to dim it to comfortable level.
- v2.0.1 RC1
- Fixed App2sd issue
- Created separate kernels for the key LED on and off.
You can also get the files and the instructions @ http://forum.sdx-developers.com/moment-2-2-development/sdx-froyo-m900-for-samsung-moment-beta1-0-released!/.
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter and join our Facebook Fan page to stay updated.