Many of the latest mobile devices are capable of being a Wi-Fi hotspot (aka Wireless tethering) but carriers force customers to buy extra options to enable it. Thanks to richhed @ XDA, it is now possible to enable this mobile hotspot feature on the Motorola Atrix 4G without paying extra. This is really handy as you can use your Motorola Atrix 4G connection anywhere with a Wi-Fi only tablet like the iPad or Motorola Xoom.
Before you get started you will have to root your Motorola Atrix 4G, to do so you can follow our instructions @ How To Root Your Motorola Atrix 4G.
Please note that we will not be responsible if you end up bricking your device. Rooting or customizing your device can be risky, if you follow the instructions you should be fine!
This hack to enable wireless tethering on your Motorola Atrix 4G requires the use of Root Explorer as well as SQLite Editor. Note that those are paid apps.
Follow these instructions to enable the Wi-FI hotspot feature [from [MOD] WORKING Hotspot/Tethering WITHOUT Tethering Plan !CONFIRMED WORKING ON WEBTOP!]:
- Enable Airplane Mode
(hold power button for three seconds, select Airplane Mode)
- Open Root Explorer
- Navigate to: /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/
- Click on "telephony.db"** (this should open the db using SQLite Editor)
- Select "carriers"
- You should see a long list of APN settings for various carriers, the ones you are interested in are rows 4, 6, and 7. Scroll ALL THE WAY TO THE RIGHT and the last column should be labeled "preloaded." You will notice that each is labeled "true" press and hold the word "true" in row 4 and select "Edit Field" from the pop up menu. Change the "true" to "false" and click "Save". Repeat this step for rows 6 and 7.
- Edit the type field of row 6. Right now the field says "tether". Change it so that it says "default,agps,fota,supl,fota,tether"
- Change the APN field in row 6 from BROADBAND to wap.cingular
- Press back twice to close the SQLite editor and you should be back in Root Explorer. Close Root Explorer.
- Disable Airplane Mode
- Select the radio button for the APN you created in step one. AT&T Tether.
- Reboot phone
- Enable Wi-Fi first and then turn on mobile hotspot
You can get more information @ http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=980636.
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter and join our Facebook Fan page to stay updated.