The Nook from Barnes and Noble is an eReader alternative to the Amazon Kindle. It comes with 2 screens, a 6 inch E Ink display at the top where you can read your books and a separate smaller color touch screen at the bottom that acts as the input device for the Nook. What’s great about it is that its Operating System is based on Android which means (guess what) it can be rooted!
Rooting a Nook gives you access to its filesystem and also access to many applications like Pandora thanks to the folks @ NookDevs.
Note that we won't be responsible if you end up bricking your device, rooting your device can be risky. If you follow the instructions then you will be fine!
All the credits for this root / jailbreak solution for the Barnes and Noble Nook go to the folks @ NookDevs.
This hack does not work with the latest B&N Nook hardware revision, if your serial starts with 1003 DO NOT try to root those devices.
Follow these instructions to root your Nook:
- Download the 1.0.0 official signed update @ http://www.nookdevs.com/dl/1.0/signed_bravo_update.dat
- Copy the update to your Nook internal SD Card (named NOOK)
- Go to your Nook home screen, it should say it’s ready for an update. Wait for it to reboot and install 1.0.0 on your Nook
- Download the Nook Softroot 2.4.1 / ROM @ http://nookdevs.com/Softroot
- Copy the Softroot package your Nook external SD Card (NOT named NOOK)
- Hold Power until the screen turns off
- Now press and hold the button on the right side of your nook. Continue to hold it while you press and release the power button
- Once you see a screen indicating your device is updating release
- Wait until the process is complete and then reboot your Nook
- After it’s rebooted pull up the launcher menu and click on + to add applications
You can also follow the step by step instructions from apyankeefan in the YouTube video below:
You can get more information about the Barnes and Noble Nook @ http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/index.asp.
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter and join our Facebook Fan page to stay updated.