The LG Optimus S was just released on Sprint and it was rooted on day one by KSmithInNY from the Android Central Forums. The LG Optimus S is a low cost Android 2.2 device with a 600MHz CPU and a 3.2-inch touch screen, not too bad for a phone that costs $49.99 with a 2-year contract and a mail-in rebate. Take a look at how to root the LG Optimus S after the break.
Note that I won't be responsible if you end up bricking your phone, rooting your phone can be risky. If you follow the instructions then you will be fine!
All the credits for this rooting procedure go to KSmithInNY.
To root your LG Optimus S you will need:
- Android SDK installed at the root of your computer hard driver (C:\ on Windows) (http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html)
- LG phone drivers installed on your computer (download at http://forum.androidcentral.com/other-android-devices/42678-how-install-usb-drivers-lg-optimus-one.html)
- a Sun JRE or JDK (google it)
- Download the root files in the OptimusRoot.zip file @ http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s/43108-how-root-lg-optimus-s.html
Follow these instructions to root your LG Optimus S:
- Connect your LG Optimus S to your computer using the USB cable
- When prompted select Charge Only.
- Go to Settings > Applications > Development and make sure USB Debugging is checked
- On your computer start the Android SDK Manager
- Open up a command prompt on your computer, go to where you’ve installed the Android SDK (c:\android\tools for example) and type:
adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage
adb push su /data/local/tmp/
adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/
chmod 4755 /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage
chmod 4755 /data/local/tmp/busybox
./rageagainstthecage (let things sit a couple minutes (2), your phone will disconnect from the computer and you'll be removed from your ADB session)
adb shell This should return a "#" symbol instead of a "$" symbol. If it does you're good. If not go back and start from the beginning of step 4
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
./busybox cp su /system/bin
./busybox cp busybox /system/bin
chmod 4755 su
chmod 4755 busybox
busybox --install /system/bin
- Back to your device now, go to the Android Market and download the free Superuser application from ChainsDD. Use it with your rooted device to manage the Superuser privileges.
Enjoy your rooted device! You can get more information about the rooting procedure @ http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s/43108-how-root-lg-optimus-s.html.
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter and join our Facebook Fan page to stay updated.