The HTC Droid Incredible is a great Android device which until now wasn’t officially rooted. The wait is now over as the unrevoked team released the rooting instructions. This now opens up endless possibilities to the HTC Incredible users": custom ROMs, unofficial application like wireless tethering etc. Follow the instructions in this article.
All the credits for discovering how to root the HTC Droid Incredible goes to the unrevoked team.
The rooting process is quite involving so you might want to wait for an easier method unless you’re an Android power user.
Here are the instructions:
- As usual backup your device prior to doing anything
- You need to have adb (part of the Android SDK) installed on your computer
- On your computer open up a terminal / command prompt and run in a loop adb shell
- At the same time adb runs in a loop on your computer reboot your HTC Droid Incredible in Recovery mode until you see exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2)
- You should now have adb running in recovery mode
- Download all the files @ http://www.unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php?id=public:adb_in_recovery (payload-update.zip, ota.zip, busybox and Superuser.apk)
- Copy all these in directory on your computer, this will be your working directory all the commands you’ll run on your computer will “start” from there.
- On your device press both Volume Up and Power at the same time
- In the menu that appears select update.zip. Don’t worry this will fail.
- Back to your computer run adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox
- Still on your computer run adb push ota.zip /sdcard/update.zip
- On your HTC Droid Incredible pick update.zip again from the menu and at the same time you press select it run the following command on your computer:
adb push payload-update.zip /sdcard/update.zip
You might want to prepare the command in your computer terminal prior to selecting update.zip on your device to make sure you run the command as soon as you did your selection
- You should see a message on your device saying ‘unrEVOked for Incredible’ if everything went well
- On your computer run adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
- Run adb shell. This will open up a shell window on your HTC Incredible
- In this shell window run su to gain root access
- Then execute
/system/bin/toolbox dd if=/sdcard/Superuser.apk of=/system/app/Superuser.apk
- Finally run /system/bin/chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk to change some permissions
- All set!
You can follow the XDA thread @ http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=699088
If this is useful think about donating to the Electronic Frontier Foundation on behalf of the unrEVOked team @ http://www.unrevoked.com/rootwiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?hash=166e09&media=http%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2Funrevoked-eff
Take a look at the following which highlights how to root your HTC Incredible in 10 minutes!
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter and join our Facebook Fan page to stay updated.