Installing custom ROMs on your device is a good way to keep it up to date. Android 2.2 (Froyo) is coming out soon for example and you won’t have to wait for Motorola and Verizon to release an official Droid update, as soon as some chefs will release a custom ROM with Froyo you will be able to flash it on your rooted Motorola Droid. If you don’t know how to root your Motorola Droid or how to install a custom ROM on it, follow these instructions!
To install a custom ROM on your Motorola Droid you will need to root it first. To root your Motorola Droid follow the instructions @ How to Root your Motorola Droid.
Follow these instructions to install a custom ROM on a Motorola Droid using nandroid:
- Again make sure you’ve a rooted Droid, if not follow these instructions: How to Root your Motorola Droid
- Choose your custom ROM, there are plenty of them so choose carefully. Go to http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacking/ and check out some of the custom ROM threads.
- Start by doing a full nandroid backup and backup any apps/files you’d like to keep.
- Download the ROM files, extract the files if you downloaded an archive file.
- Copy the folder containing the ROM files you extracted to the nandroid folder on your SD card.
- Turn off your phone and reboot into recovery mode i.e. hold X and press Power, release Power and keep pressing on X until you see the recovery menu.
- Some ROMs will require you to wipe the data and the Cache Partition if so then select Wipe Data/Factory Reset and then select Wipe Cache Partition.
If the ROM installation instructions don’t mention this then you don’t need to wipe the data or cache.
- In the Recovery menu select Backup/Restore.
- Then select Advanced Nandroid Restore.
- Pick Choose backup and select your ROM.
- Select Boot and System.
- Finally pick Perform Restore.
- Wait until you see Done your Motorola Droid screen then press the Power button twice, select Reboot System Now and wait for it to reboot!
You can follow this great video tutorial to get additional information about to install custom ROMs on your Motorola Droid:
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter and join our Facebook Fan page to stay updated.