Now that we have all seen Windows Phone 7 Series which will be available at the end of this year it is worth taking a look at the latest Windows Mobile releases. As Microsoft pointed out Windows Phone 7 and Windows Mobile 6.5.x will co-exist for some time with Windows Mobile aimed toward the low end of the mobile devices market and Windows Phone 7 for the high end.
Even so Windows Mobile 6.5.3 or 6.5.5 haven’t been officially released yet some of us have been using them for a while now. I consider that this release should have been the Windows Mobile 6.5 release we saw a couple of months back but I guess it takes some time to implement some of the new UI improvements we now see in the latest 6.5.x builds like the enhanced Contact view. Anyway Windows Mobile 6.5.3 has now been officially announced and is making its way into some new devices like the Sony Aspen and others.
WMExperts recently wrote a very good Windows Mobile 6.5.3 recap article that you’ll find here:
All in all they do agree that Windows Mobile is getting better and better and this shows commitment from Microsoft to Windows Mobile 6.5 even so Windows Phone 7 is coming soon. The latest builds (I am running build 23518 on my device) are very stable, the battery life is good, of course it doesn't look as good as the new Windows Phone 7 user interface but HTC Sense or Titanium are not bad.
If you want to see Windows Mobile 6.5.3 in action, take a look at this article:
If you have not yet tried the newest build or are still running a stock ROM I do encourage you to try a some of custom ROMs out there. It is easy to unlock your phone and flash a new ROM.
If you’re not yet familiar with the procedure, you can take a look at some of my previous articles:
- HTC HD2 / HTC Leo: https://techhackz.com/2010/01/flash-your-htc-hd2-or-htc-leo.html
- HTC Touch Pro 2 / Tilt 2: https://techhackz.com/2009/11/flash-your-htc-touch-pro-2.html
- HTC Touch Pro / Fuze: https://techhackz.com/2009/06/flash-htc-touch-pro.html
Your phone needs to be unlocked prior to flashing a custom ROM, this is described in the following articles:
- HTC HD2 / HTC Leo: https://techhackz.com/2010/01/hardspl-package-for-htc-hd2-was-just.html
- HTC Touch Pro 2 / Tilt 2: https://techhackz.com/2009/10/unlock-your-htc-touch-pro-2.html
- HTC Diamond 2 / Pure: https://techhackz.com/2010/02/how-to-unlock-your-htc-diamond-2.html
- HTC Touch Pro / Fuze: https://techhackz.com/2009/06/unlock-your-htc-touch-pro.html
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter and join our Facebook Fan page to stay updated.