The HTC Desire device is basically the Google Nexus One with the HTC Sense User Interface cooked in and sold directly by HTC not Google. Since the 2 devices share a very similar hardware it makes sense that it is possible to now run an HTC Desire ROM on the Google Nexus One. And it brings Flash Lite support as well as the HTC Sense UI to the Nexus One.
Paul from Modaco has recently released this new ROM to the community and it brings HTC Sense to the Google Nexus One. It is worth noting that a few weeks back we mentioned it was possible to run HTC Sense on a Motorola Droid.
Paul states that almost everything fine is running fine on this ROM, of course there are a few bugs here and there but it should be usable.
You can follow these instructions to install this ROM:
- You need a rooted Google Nexus One, follow the instructions here: https://techhackz.com/2010/01/how-to-root-your-google-nexus-one-phone.html
Full file system access is required to install a custom ROM, it also requires an unlocked bootloader (article to come, google it for now).
- Do a Nandroid backup of your device.
- Download the ROM @ http://android.modaco.com/content/google-nexus-one-nexusone-modaco-com/303009/23-feb-alpha-9-modaco-custom-rom-with-htc-sense-desire-rom-now-with-online-kitchen/
- Go to the following XDA thread and download the latest recovery package for the Nexus One:
At this time the file is called recovery-RA-nexus-v1.6.0.img, copy the image to a location where fastboot.exe (download fastboot here) will be able to access it (same folder will make it simpler).
- Start your phone in fastboost mode: hold the trackball while powering it on.
- Connect your Google Nexus One to your computer.
- Extract the content of the ROM zip file you downloaded and copy its content to the root of your SD Card.
- Run the following command on your computer command prompt to flash the recovery image onto your device:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-RA-nexus-v1.6.0.img
- To boot into Recovery Mode, simply:
- power down your phone.
- reboot your device while pressing the Volume Down key.
- when you see the menu screen, select RECOVERY
- Once you see the Android System Recovery menu, select ‘Flash zip from sdcard’, this will start the flashing process.
- Restart your device and you should be all set!
You can follow the ROM thread at :
Here is video of the HTC Desire ROM in action on a Nexus One from AndroidCentral:
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter and join our Facebook Fan page to stay updated.