The brand new Google Phone aka Nexus One has recently been released and has already been rooted. This hack will jailbreak your Google phone and enable you to install custom ROMs, applications, themes etc. This is similar to jailbreaking an iPhone or rooting other Android devices.
This is actually easier than rooting some other Android devices like the Motorola Droid or Motorola CLIQ / DEXT.
Note that I won't be responsible if you end up bricking your phone, unlocking or flashing your phone can be risky. If you follow the instructions then you will be fine!
Paul from [email protected] released Superboot that will root your Google Nexus One device the first time it is used.
Here are the installation instructions:
1. Download the Superboot zip file from this thread at [email protected]: http://android.modaco.com/content/google-nexus-one-nexusone-modaco-com/298782/30-dec-1-1-superboot-rooting-the-nexus-one/
2. Extract the content of the zip file on your computer.
3. Enter bootloader mode on your device:
Turn off your device then turn it back on while pressing the trackball.
You may need to unlock the bootloader first, view the instructions here:
4. Depending on your computer Operating System, run the following commands:
- Windows: execute install-superboot-windows.bat
- MAC: Open a terminal window (Command Line), navigate to the directory containing the extracted files and run 'chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh' then './install-superboot-mac.sh'
- Linux: Open a terminal window (Command Line), navigate to the directory containing the extracted files and run 'chmod +x install-superboot-linux.sh' then './install-superboot-linux.sh'
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter and join our Facebook Fan page to stay updated.