You will be pleased to learn that the Motorola Droid, one of the hottest phones of this Winter season has been successfully rooted. What does it mean? It means you can now access its file system and install whatever you want on your Droid just like on a jailbroken iPhone: custom applications, themes etc.
This root / jailbreak hack works on both Android 2.0 and Android 2.0.1 (latest update).
Note that I won't be responsible if you end up bricking your phone, unlocking or flashing your phone can be risky. If you follow the instructions then you will be fine!
Here is how you can get it to work:
1. Download the droid-super_user.zip file from here: http://depositfiles.com/en/files/9z362jtrz. Keep it as a zip file, don't extract its content.
2. Rename the file you just downloaded to update.zip.
3. Connect your Droid to your computer using its USB cable. Go to the Notifications bar of your Droid and select USB Connected then press Mount.
4. Now that your Droid is mounted, go to your File Explorer on your computer and you should see your Droid SD card as a removable device.
5. Copy the update.zip file to the Root directory of your SD Card.
6. Unmount the device from your computer. Power off your Droid.
7. Press the X key on the Droid physical keyboard and the power button at the same time. Hold them down until you see a Triangle with an ! inside it.
8. Now press the Vol+ and the Camera button at the same time, hold them down until you see a menu.
9. Use the D-pad on your physical keyboard to select the option 'apply sdcard:update.zip'.
10. Be patient it will take a while, once it's done select the option 'reboot system now'.
You're all set! Simply download a root application to try it out.
Here is a nice video from Youtube:
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter and join our Facebook Fan page to stay updated.